Mostly images of birds found in our region of Northampton County, NC.
(Image above is Potecasi Creek at Burnt Bridges)

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ruby-throated Hummingbird










The Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Archilochus colubris, is the primary hummer for these parts.  They are very territorial and seem to expend a lot of energy in chasing their competition away.  I know they must nest nearby, but I have not had the good fortune to see one.  Some of these close shots were taken with the 200mm micro nikkor lens from a foot or less away.  We had fun a couple years ago getting some of them trained to land on my finger when they were near the feeder.  I locate a feeder at eye level in a window near my computer desk, so it is simple to open the window and hold my hand out there to get them to perch.  They are timid at first, but usually one will decide I am no threat and their desire for food overrides their fear.  Looking through my hummer shots, I find that my favorites are usually the females.  I did put a closeup of a male at the bottom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment