Mostly images of birds found in our region of Northampton County, NC.
(Image above is Potecasi Creek at Burnt Bridges)

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Wild Turkey



The Wild Turkey, Meleagris gallopavo, has really made a comeback in this region.  Folks who have lived around here for years don't recall seeing Turkeys until the last 15 to 20 years.  There are quite a few in small groups within a couple miles of us.  Did you know that a group of Turkeys is called a "rafter"?  The two jakes in the bottom picture are wrestling by locking beaks and trying to push the other around.  They will fuss like this until one has enough and gives up.  Then, they get along just fine.  Interesting behavior to witness.

1 comment:

  1. These are great photos, keep it up, I live in NC so I like to see NC birds. Helps me Id my birds at my feeder.

    ReplyDelete